Friday, July 13, 2012

Diversity and Life

     I want to take this opportunity to give you a picture of where I am coming from on the diversity question.  For me diversity is a part of life: I have lived in Mexico, Nothern French Canada, Guinea West Africa, eight different states in eight different regions. I have taught in ESL classes with students from China, Jordan, Brazil, and Bangldesh, all of these being adults.
     In my teaching career in Africa, I taught a child from Korea, Canada, Madagascar, three different ages of African students in Kankan, Guinea, as well, nine American missionary children and then in the states; Apache, Navajo, Hopi First Nation's children. 
     In the last preschool setting I had three white children, one South African, one from Bangldesh, a Chactaw/Mexican, a Black/German, a Black/White, and 2 Black children.  This was all in one classroom.  With this in mind, you can see why I say that diversity has been a part of my life for the last 30 years.  On any given day, I can go outside my house and within thirty minutes I will have had contact with at least 2 international students. 
     I start my new job in the middle of August, in a new preschool with all new students, new parents, new collaegues.  I have no idea how diverse the classroom will be but I know that they will have my love and respect.  They will have my focus on giving them a sense of belonging and acceptance of their culture whatever it is. 
    I am not saying this to make myself look like an expert, for I certainly am not, just someone with a good deal of experience.  I have learned how to love people for who they are.

2 comments:

  1. Barbara, I am so happy for you that you got the job. You had shared in a previous post that you had applied. That's so great!..You obviously bring a lot of experience in diversity to this classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barbara,

    Wow! You have some outstanding references and experiences. I wish I could say the same, but I have not been fortunate to leave the states. However, being the US Navy for 8 years gave me a sense of diversity within my own unit, along with the students I am with and one's I previously taught. I wish I could hear more about your personal experiences. Thanks for sharing!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete