Wednesday, July 11, 2012

week 3 assignment


Communication and Culture
Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
  • Yes, I find that I am being reserved and withdrawn when meeting new people of my own culture, especially if it is a group of people.

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
  •  I guess I am strange but I feel more comfortable when meeting new people from another country, especially in a group. I find I can converse with most any person from another country rather easily if there is a common ground, like at a picnic for international students or an ESL setting.  I have many communication skills I have to improve: the tips that I have listed are ones that I had to stop and consider.
Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified.
Jamie Walters and Sarah Fenson in A Crash Course in Communication give twelve tips of a good communicator.  I have picked out three that seem important to me and will help me the most.
*      Don’t take another person’s reaction or anger personally, even if they lash out at you in what seems a personal manner. (A big problem for me, I tend to take too much personally.)
*      Respond (facts and feelings); do not react (feelings). 
*      Understand that people want to feel heard more than they care about whether you agree with them. (This gives them a sense of being valued.)
*      Look for common ground instead of focusing solely on differences.
*      Work to keep a positive mental focus. 
References:   Walters, J., & Fenson, S. (2000). A crash course in communication. Retrieved from http://www.inc.com/articles/2000/08/20000.html

2 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    It is great that you can feel so comfortable in diverse groups. People always speak to me in stores and ask me questions and my husband always ask if I know those people and I tell him no. I think that I just try to carry myself as approachable and try to give off positive vibes. I like to talk to people and to try and relate to their situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeWana,
    The best communication skill, in my opinion, is the smile.

    ReplyDelete