Saturday, May 19, 2012

Definitions of culture and diversity


Friends living together, doing laundry, and laughing 
Do they understand culture and diversity?


My definition of culture is defined as the shared patterns of behaviors and interactions...cognitive constructs and affective understanding that are learned through a process of socialization.

My definition of diversity is to recognize and attempt to appreciate the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique. (Personal Communication)

My definition of culture: The entire collection of a people group's way of thinking or doing things.

My definition of diversity: Distinct differentiation in personality, life experience, and worldview, that both sets people apart from one another and makes them valuable to one another. (Personal Communication)

Culture is the traditions that your ancestors have done for years and what you learn from them. EX English are known for drinking tea and having afternoon cookies. They are hard workers and speak English.
Germans are known for their different foods that they eat such as Sauerkraut and sausage. Singing German songs and celebrating Oktoberfest are a part of the calendar year.

To me diversity is the difference between the different ethnic backgrounds that people come from. It is how we feel about things influenced by our backgrounds and where we live our environment (Personal Communication)

These are the three of the four responses that I received for this assignment.  The fourth person said that she thought culture was the “Good Ole American Way”.  Diversity is being opposed to the American way. This comes from my sister which follows in all the thoughts of my original family. I think that this shows how extreme ideas my family expresses from my ideas and thoughts. 

The first two comes from two completely situations.  The first is a Facebook friend that I have not met but she knows my oldest son and his father. 

The second one is a young lady that teaches at a small university in Atlanta, Georgia and one that I served in Guinea, West Africa for a time. We were roommates and she called me her African mother.  There was only 45 years different in our ages.  Her husband is a teacher at a private high school as the instructor for ancient languages.  This is important as Katherine and Rob have unique perceptions from all the others and people who have had more experience and connect with many cultures.

I think that Katherine, the second one, has more of a concept of how culture and diversity would impact children.  I know this from the fact that some of the people she worked with in Guinea were the children.  She is an ethnomusicalist, analyzing their music and recording, studying and presenting it back to the people.  She not only analyzed their music but fell in love with it.  She stayed in their small villages to learn their ways and observe with her heart the ways of the Guinean people.

Looking at others perspectives on culture made me realize that there are more people than I wanted to admit in my family that have little concept of people outside the range of their contacts.  My cousin, the third definition, and my sister do not take into consideration of others but their ways as the right way.    

2 comments:

  1. The definition, good ole American way is not a far fetched definition. Many of us connect our identity to the more dominant group in society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    I enjoyed reading your post about the different definitions of culture that you received. I think that many people think of their way as the "right way", although most would not openly admit it.

    ReplyDelete