Thursday, October 25, 2012

What I have Learned



     The article, Who Cares for Our Children? By Valerie Polakow made me want to cry when I realized how far behind the USA is in the field of education, especially in the field of Early Childhood (Pelo, 2008).  I work with a woman who is from Germany, having raised her children there, and moved to the USA when they were grown.  She told me that the USA was far behind Germany and other European countries in the area of education.  She voiced her concern about the USA not working to advance Early Childhood Education.   I had a hard time believing that we are that far behind but the statistics speak for themselves.

  Poverty is the bias that touches my heart and I feel that is my goal, to work with women and children.  How can I help correct this situation? I know that this kind of assistance comes through one-on-one ministry. This chart shows poverty among women by race/ethnicity and age.

Thank you to my classmates for their discussion posts that have helped enriched my life and taught me many new perspectives.  A special thank you to Dr. Hertz for her professionalism and interest in me personally. 
References:
Pelo, A. (Ed.) (2008). Rethinking early childhood education. Milwaukee, WI: Rethinking Schools. 
Women and Children in Poverty(2007), Google Images.  Retrieved from  http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&   biw=1280 &bih=611&q=women+and+children+in+poverty&oq=women+and+children+in+po&gs_l=img.1.0                .0i24j0i5i24.1845.6952.0.10970.24.24.0.0.0.0.162.1843.23j1.24.0.eqrwrth..0.0...1.1.DkJkDtDDE5    A

4 comments:

  1. Barbara
    Thank you for sharing your passions/goals with use this term. Why do you think the United States is so far behind other nations academically?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Barbara,

    We share a passion for eliminating the cycle of poverty. You may be interested in checking out Dr. Donna Beegle's website as she also shares our passion: http://www.combarriers.com/. Dr. Beegle is a powerful speaker and I have her book on my list of books to read in the very near future.

    Thank you so much for adding so much value to my cognitive knowledge and emotional well-being. It has been a great honor learning from you and with you. Wishing you a prosperous journey in all you do in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I did not realize that you were still following my blog. What are you doing in the issue of poverty?

      Delete
  3. Barbara,

    You have done such a great job with discussions and information supplied through your blogs. This information about education was new to me also, I guess that's why some people believe that more teachers are needed in math and science to help advance for the future.

    ReplyDelete