Friday, October 12, 2012

Pictures are Worth a Thousand Words







I do remember an incident that happened with my first son when he was small but old enough to recognize differences.
We lived in West Virginia, a place with many Black people.  We were walking down the street with Patrick in his stroller.  Suddenly Patrick said, “Daddy look at that man.”  This man was an older Black man: the man was offended.    Daddy said, “what about the man?”  Patrick said, “Look he has a beard.”
The man began to laugh, he thought Patrick was pointing out that he was Black but when he realized that Patrick was talking about his beard.  The beard was long and very white.  
Patrick had been exposed to many Black people, one of my best friends was Black and her mother ran a foster home for teenagers, over 101 children pasted through her home, with a mix of White and Black.  She called her house “The Oreo House.” 
I think the message to the child is that people can relate to each other and laugh at the assumptions of biases.
As an anti-bias teacher, a discussion about older men having beards would be appropriate.  I think a picture of men with beards is the answer to questions about beards.  I would use pictures of many ethnicities.  Pictures are worth a thousand words.  I use these pictures to  make the point of the importance of allowing the child to see what he wants to see.
 


Bearded Men retrieved from https://www.google.com/search?q=bearded+men&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qQq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_654UKa7BcXzqAGH0oHQBQ&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1037&bih=652

1 comment:

  1. Barbara,

    This was a great comment! For a moment as I was reading I assumed that Patrick was also, going to say something about the man's color. I was totally surprised when something different was said. I love the way your husband asked Patrick to point out what he was asking about I thought that was very smart. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete