Monday, April 16, 2012

Building Research Competencies

Some insights that I gained is understanding quantitative and qualitative research types. I have been so surprised at the attitudes of researchers with children. I was not knowledgeable that children were such a “non-person” until recently. I do think that consent and respect of the child as a participant in a research project is a necessity.

I have learned many lessons about planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood. I have written many research papers in my college years but have never studied the details. It has helped to learn why I did the things that I did in doing research and the things that I should have or could have done to make it easier.

Equity is beyond equal, meaning fairness and justice. Children are having the right to fairness and justice in their lives. Research in Early Childhood has changed my knowledge about the issues and trends that are being studied.
Thank you to my classmates for your support, your conversations, and your participation in class. Thank you to Dr. Davis for being so supported and helpful in my understanding of research. This has been a difficult class for me and I entered it with trepidation.

Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to extend my gratitude to you as well. Thank you for blog discussions and support. I have to agree with your point on how children have been treated up unto recent years. I find it hard to believe that there were animal cruelty laws in place before child protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara I will like to thank you for your prompts answers to discussions questions and your comments. As you I thought that I knew about research but this course prove to me that I was wrong. Good luck in your future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara,
    I really enjoyed having you in this course. I was so happy to see someone else be up front with their challenges and it was comforting for to to know that I was not alone in feeling a bit overwhelmed. I look forward to future courses with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also surprised by the way that children are viewed in research. I learned a great deal from my colleagues and from Dr. Davis during this course. Good luck to you in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete