Saturday, October 29, 2011

God Bless each classmate, Week 8


• Post at least three consequences of learning about the international early childhood field for your professional and personal development (any format, any length)
Learning about international early childhood field makes my heart yearn to travel to Guinea to assist in teaching parents and grandparents the importance of nutrition and their child’s education. I am not sure how that can happen but my heart sure wants to as I know the problems and the poverty in that country and I hear from friends that things are not as good as it was when I was there.
I have so many questions about the things I have learned, how can they really be resolved with so much ignorance and lack of concern about the importance of Early Childhood Education, or even the importance of our children. With so many children living in poverty level or even below in our own country, where is the money and resources coming from to support organizations such as SAVE THE CHILDREN in other countries.
I once, was offered a position for a short term working with SAVE and was not allowed to take it at the advice of the mission I was working with. Now at this time in my life, where do I find a way for me to contribute and be a supporter of this kind of work. Does my teaching a little boy from India count and is that all the further it will go?
• Post one goal for the field related to international awareness of issues and trends and the spirit of collegial relations
I have looked at the goals that I set down in the Foundations class and look at where I am now. I feel like I am spinning my wheels and going nowhere. When I was thinking things were going so well for me, now with loosing my job, taking one with less pay, and having to live with my son and his family: I feel like I am in a financial prison.
I do want to thank my classmates for being so encouraging and questioning me, and supporting my posts. I especially want to thank Christina Parker, Darcey Richardson, Leigh Todd and Amy Smith for hanging in there as encouragers from the first class. Thanks so much girls. Thank you to Dr. Dartt.

3 comments:

  1. Barbara, I receive that blessing - need it.
    :-) Thanks for your blog posts and information shared. Best wisehs on accomplishing your desires to work further in the field of EC. I look forward to learning with you in future courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for your nice comments on my blog. I’m glad you decided to stay in the program. I know financially, it can be extremely difficult. That is one of the reasons I am taking a break. I am sorry to hear that you feel like you are spinning your wheels. That is exactly how I felt at this time last year. I was forced to quit my job. Although it was only part-time, it was the only thing I had going on. After that is when I decided to go to school and ended up finding another job, but with less hours and even less pay. After a while, I found I was happier and now things are looking up. I just want to offer you some encouragement. It might take some time, but I’m sure you’ll find a way to make things work and accomplish your goals. Hang in there! Take care and keep in touch.

    Darcey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara -

    I'm so glad to see we're in class together. I haven't "seen" you since our first class. I hope to hear more about your experiences in Africa!

    Here's to a great class,

    Teri

    ReplyDelete