Saturday, May 14, 2011

Nutrition and Agriculture in West Africa

Nutrition and agriculture sectors must work together. Learning to understand one another has been an issue as their policies are written differently and they collect information from a different venue.  Malnutrition is a large problem in most of West Africa, especially Guinea.  Focusing on the quantity of food raised does not eliminate malnutrition as it may not contain the quality that is necessary to nourish.  Education and working together on their policies is a must if Guinea is going to overcome the problem of malnutrition.  Victoria Lebbie, who heads the women in agriculture and nutrition unit in Sierra Leone's Agriculture, Forestry and Food Security Ministry says, “"To them it's just cooking," she told IRIN.  “But nutrition is not only cooking - it goes beyond that. It's agriculture; it's all about production, processing, preservation, utilization."  This information was discussed at a nutrition forum of the Economic Community of West African States – helping nutrition find its place in the agriculture sector.
When I lived in Guinea, there were two seasons, the eating season and the hunger season.  That is how the people perceived their lives.  For eight months “we will plant, harvest and store, then for four months when the food resources are gone, we will not eat.”  This is difficult because during the hunger season the price of rice, vegetables, and gas goes up.  When I was there the price of gas went to $5 a gallon US dollars.  Crime escalated and babies died from starvation.  I saw little children eating the raw mangos off of the trees, get terribly sick and some died.  Mangos were the only thing they could reach and there was no food at home.  Most women tried to feed their families something once a day but sometimes that did not happen.
This affects me because a part of my heart is still in Guinea and always will be. When I went to the corner “market” I would buy a baguette of bread and by the time I got to my house most of it was gone.  I would tear off pieces and give to the children I spoke to on the way.  I am not sure how this impacts my future and what I can do at this present time.  I do pray for them, many of them by name as friends.  It makes me terribly ashamed when I whine that I do not have something.  I did learn what things are important and what a luxury is: a car, a recliner chair, or bed to sleep.  The one thing that I cried over when I arrived home was turning on the water faucet and getting fresh healthy water. Even when running the water through a filter system, it was not good and not disease free. 
Article: WEST AFRICA: Growing food for nutrition, GRAND BASSAM, 27 September 2010 (IRIN) retrieved from http://www.irinnews.org
Article: Efficacy of outreach nutrition rehalilitation centres retrieved from http://.ncbi.nih.gov/pubmed

3 comments:

  1. Barbara thank you for sharing this experience. It reminds us to be thankful. I have always been thankful for running hot water. People laugh sometimes when I say that. But I do not take the blessings here in America for granted. How long has it been since you were there? What was your role? Have there been any improvement in the efforts to grow food there. If not, what is hindering progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful opportunity for you to have experienced what it is like in Guinea. It certainly puts things into perspective to hear that story! I have not had the opportunity to directly help people in other countries, but I really wish to someday be able to do so. It is really sad that there are people out there that live so lavishly, while others are starving to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an experience to share. I have had friends to go to other countries and help and pray with people whom lack the necessary things needed. My church partner with others that help feed people in the different countries. I feel it is a blessing to be able to give so they can have. We are so bless here in America.

    ReplyDelete