Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Relationship Reflection

I have a good relationship with my daughter but she lives in Washington State and I live in Kansas.  I have not been to see them since March 2009.  We talk on the telephone weekly.  I talk to both boys and occasionally Dad. 
She called me one night, 1:30 a.m. crying.  It scared me and I asked her what was the matter.  Her response was “nothing Mom I just want to tell you thank you for being such a good mom and teaching me how to be a lady.” 



I have the best relationship with my youngest son than all my children.  He lives 139 miles south of Manhattan and I went to see them over the Independence Day holiday.  We had such a good time laughing and playing with their daughter.  My daughter –in-law is the best.  She is not much of a talker but she is kind and always ready to help when the need arises.  I told her Sunday that I appreciated her standing by my son in the turmoil they went through recently.  I think that she is a good wife to him.  My relationship with my son has had its rocky times, especially when he was in high school and it was just he and I.  We still have discussions that sometimes get intense but no arguments.  My son came to be with me when I had so many surgeries in 2010 and he stayed close during the cancer surgeries. 
My friends are my accountability partners, we laugh, we pray, we cry and we support each other.  I do not see them right now as much as I would like.  Being summer they are busy with their families.  I became acquainted with them through my two youngest children.  Their children, three girls, and my children were in youth group at church together.  We all became close, to the point that their daughters called me “Mom number 2”.  My son was like the girls brother.  As our children matured and moved on with their lives, they have lost track of each other but Mom and Dad and I are still close friends. 

My relationship with them is unique as he was my forwarding agent when I was in Africa and then again when I went to teach at the Mission School in Arizona.  A forwarding agent is one who oversees the stateside expenses and manages any personal business that cannot be care for overseas.  By doing this for me, they became really involved in my life, knowing pretty much everything that went on.  They were there for me when my oldest son sent a letter disowning me and never wanting to hear from me again.  He actually sent the letter to them and asked them to forward it to me.  I never saw the letter, they were protecting me from things he said and how he said them. 

My oldest son decided that he did not want to have anything to do with me because I became a missionary in Africa.  He was opposed to my going there.  He is extremely prejudiced.  He also became very involved with his dad and what was going on there.  I do not know the details but know that if he is talking to his dad he cannot talk to me.  This was very hard for me to understand and still is but I have accepted it and moved on.  It still hurts but I cannot do anything about it now except pray for him. 

Relationships have been hard for me to develop.  After my mother died when I was four, my dad took the four oldest and moved back to the family farm with my grandfather.  My dad became moody and impulsive in his anger doing things that kept all of us scared most of the time.  My dad’s sister was our caretaker and she was the kindest person, teaching us all she knew about life.  She had live a sheltered life on the farm caring for everyone but she knew how to be kind and that she did well.  My grandfather was the greatest, I know that is where my aunt learned to be kind.  He was the kind of guy everyone knew, respected and consulted about farming.

My aunt taught me to trust, my dad taught me to trust no one.  That was confusing but I preferred to follow my aunt.  I learned to trust no one again through my marriage and divorce.  I have worked hard to learn to trust again but there are times when I question the actions of others and wonder if they are being truthful. 

Strong healthy relationships are built on trust, respect and loyalty.  I know that I have that kind of relationship with my friends, my youngest son and his wife, and my daughter and her husband.  There are many people at the church that I have healthy relationships with: my friend/counselor, my friend and encourager, my minister and his wife and the administrator and his wife.  These are the people who support me, and I support and respect them.  My church is my family.  I know that my son and daughter understand that as they also are a part of this family even though they live away. 

As a preschool teacher and early childhood advocate, I know that my experiences have taught me to be sensitive to the needs of a small child.  Our house burned and my mother and father fought to put it out.  A few weeks later, my mother was taken to the hospital with bad headaches and she never came back.  I did not understand what was going on.  This impacted my life in a way that made me sensitive and caring for the feelings of small children.  I have a desire to advocate for them, to teach them, and to love them.  Teaching was my mother’s field of work when she met my father.  I wanted to follow in her steps and to do her work that she did not get to finish.  That may sound strange but that was and is my desire. 


5 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself with the rest of us! I am saddened by your son's bias to the people of Africa and, as a result, his bias toward you. Life has an interesting way of teaching us about trust...many relationships and events lead us toward trusting and then other events seem to work at chipping away at what we were able to build up. I applaud your courage and your passions!
    ~Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family relationship is very touching. You seem to have made very good, wise decisions in your life. I pray that one day your other son will understand what you're doing and overlook the barriers that appear before him. I strongly believe that one day he will because you are his mother and there's no love like a mother's love. I feel honored and blessed to have you as a classmate. Keep doing what you do and loving the children. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My youngest son was just asking me this morning if I "really knew" any of my classmates (due to the online format) I tried to explain to him that I actually knew them better because of the format and this is a prime example why. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself and showing real world applications. God has a way of shaping and molding us through our experiences if we are willing to view it that way. It certainly appears that you have and on top of that you are using your gift to help shape others. I appreciate you and what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara and thank you for your post, it can't have been easy to write. I also discussed in mine that for as many benefits of relationship building and partnership development, there are just as many challenges, especially with personal relationships. I found it very interesting to learn about the relationship you have with your oldest son. Only in the past three months have I been on good terms with both my mom and dad at the same time and for the first time since I can remember. It is no easy thing to have parents who are like night and day, and I am sure you have tried everything possible to make it work. Try not to get discouraged by this or the conflicting and traumatic relationships of your past. It is clear that you have a huge heart, see the best in people, and will leave the world a better place than you found it. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! we have some things in common. I really liked it when you referred to one of your relationships as your accountable friends. We need people in our lives that will say Hey! stop that or you know you are wrong. (smile) I also connected with what you said about being confused about trust. I too grew up seeing two sides in terms of human behavior. My mother got angry easily but my grandmother was so gentle and kind. I chose sides with my grandmother.
    You have experienced a lot of pain in life, yet you are still standing. And I agree that having those special people in our lives gives us hope and a reason to keep living. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete